On a balmy summer day, we set the GPS destination to The Westin Resort & Spa, on the outskirts of Rishikesh. Our car chugged along the winding mountain roads to reach the resort nestled in the picturesque Shivalik range of the Himalayas. The newly-opened 141-key resort plays with rock and stone, and the architecture is inspired by the concept of biophilia.
As we walk into the sleek and minimalist lobby, we’re immediately drawn to the statement wicker lighting. The expansive resort has heaps of vantage views of Rishikesh and the glorious meandering Ganga. The spacious rooms are washed in pleasant, natural tones and open onto a balcony with incredible views of the mountains and river. Brownie points for the double vanities, not too sure of the free-standing bathtub making it tricky to manoeuvre in a doors-drawn bathroom. The resort also offers private suites with the bells and whistles of a patio garden, a temperature-controlled plunge pool, and modern conveniences.
View this post on Instagram
What was surprising and impressive was their sold-out occupancy status. We suppose this is a hot favourite amongst families courtesy of the plethora of on-and-off property experiences.
Watch a movie under the stars, enjoy campsite chai and Maggi atop a picturesque hill, witness the splendour of an evening aarti along the banks of the Ganges, trek to the Kunjapuri Temple, sign up for a wildlife safari escapade at the Rajaji National Park…there’s heaps to do.
Over and above, they have four distinctive restaurants and bars, event spaces, and Rishikesh’s largest conference hall. Marking the launch of Toya – a progressive Asian restaurant with an interactive Teppanyaki Chef’s table, this GPS destination is a sizzling hot favourite.
Five reasons why we’re going back to The Westin Resort & Spa, Himalayas:
- Akasa: The resort follows the brand’s Eat Well programme that showcases local and international cuisines. From saag with ragi flatbread to pistachio danish pastry and a crispy masala dosa to wood-fired pizzas – the glocal delicacies at this all-day indoor/outdoor restaurant are ace. Special mention for the Garhwali thali.
- Teppanyaki at Toya: A first for the region, the interactive showcase ensures to draw in guests from neighbouring Dehradun, Rishikesh and Chandigarh. Click here to see our top picks from Toya’s menu.
- The infinity pool: The pool maketh the holiday, and this one overlooking the forested hillside doesn’t disappoint. There’s also an option of a heated pool. Follow it up with drinks at Pebbles, the swim-up grill and the bar.
- Jumpstart the endorphins: Hit the state-of-the-art WestinWORKOUT® Fitness Studio or pick the one, three or five-mile picturesque run with the RunWESTIN® program.
- The Heavenly® Bed: They don’t kid when they say their beds have won awards. The Sleep Well Lavender Balm and white tea Heavenly Bath™ deserve a raucous round of applause.
In 1968, The Beatles witnessed a spiritual awakening in Rishikesh. Cut to the present day, weary city-slickers may experience a similar epiphany. And if not as profound as that, just take a beat and recharge at The Westin Resort & Spa, Himalayas.
Address: Khasra No – 605, PTC Road, Narendra Nagar, Tehri Garhwal, Uttarakhand – 249 175, India
Closest airport: Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun
Phone: +91-137-8354 343